Northern Eagles Photo 3
Home Page

Contact Page

A Battle In The North

The Northern Eagles

Northern Eagles Photo 1

Northern Eagles Photo 2

Northern Eagles Photo 3

Northern Eagles Photo 4

607 Squadron

607 Squadron Page 2.

607 Squadron Photo Beginnings

607 Squadron Photo 1

607 Squadron Photo 2

607 Squadron Photo 3

607 Squadron Photo 4

The Flying Heppell's

About Page

Favorite Links Page





Flt Lt Edward 'Ted' Graham who led 72 Squadron August 15.


Hauptmann Werner Restemyer who led 1/ZG 76. Photo Bundisarchiv.


Local pilot Douglas Cyril 'Snowy' Winter from South Shields, County Durham, flew with 72 Squadron.

Another local man was Oswald St John Pigg, originally from South Shields he came from the City of Durham where his father was Chaplain of Durham Prison. Ossie Pigg flew on 72 Squadron.

A Messerschmitt Me 110 Do 'Dora' of ZG 76 at Stavanger in early 1940. Clearly seen is the large 'Dackelbauch' auxiliary fuel tank. Although much needed for the extra fuel, it came at the expence of two cannon. 

Photo Bundisarchiv.

Flying Officer Desmond Frederick Burt Sheen, an Australian pilot on 72 Squdron, in the cockpit of his Spitfire. Sheen is generally thought to have been the pilot who shot down the first Me 110, that of Restemeyer.

German air crew of a crashed He 111 of KG 26 brought down in Druridge Bay, Northumberland. After being rescued by the fishery vessel 'David Askew', the German air crew are escorted ashore at Amble harbour, Northumberland.

Flying Officer George Dudley Craig of 607 [County of Durham] Squadron. Craig was to make a claim for one He 111 as destroyed off the mouth of the river Tyne. While chasing another, some fifty miles out to sea, he was forced to break off the engagement and return home due to oil pressure trouble

Photo N.C.D. Craig.

Phillip Whaley Ellis Heppell DFC and Bar came from a flying family in Newcastle. He served on 616 Squadron from October 1940 and continued with the Tangmere Wing. He later acquired the status of  'Ace' while flying in the air battles of Malta. He was to continue on operations throughout the war carrying out escorts for American bombers as well as fighter escort to cover the Arnham landings. FOR MORE INFORMATION ON HEPPELL   CLICK HIS IMAGE.

Photo Philip Heppell.

Squadron Leader Ronald Gustave Kellett DFC, DSO, Polish VM, came from Chester-Le-Street, County Durham. He joined 600 Squadron Auxiliary Air Firce in 1933. He was later to serve on 616 Squadron then 249 and 303 [Pol.ish] Squadron in the Battle of Britain. Kellett was the C.O of 303 Squadron, the first operational Polish fighter Squadron. He was later to serve in a number of staff positions for the rest of the war. Kellett held the status of an 'Ace'.

Sergeant George Charles Calder Palliser DFC came from West Harlepool, Cleveland and was another pilot who achieved the status of 'Ace'. He flew on 17, 43 and 249 Squadrons during the Battle of Britain. He was later to serve as an instructor in South Africa.

Photo Mrs K. Collier.

Sergeant Ralph Vincent Hogg came from West Hartlepool, Cleveland. He joined the RAFVR just prior to the outbreak of war. He served on 616 Squadron before he was posted to 41 Squadron. Whilst flying with 41 Squadron he was posted as missing, December 12, 1940. At the time he was flying as 'tail end charlie' at the back of the squadron. He wa not missed until the squadron returned home. 

Photo Mrs K. Collier.

Flying Officer Alan Leslie Ricalton came from Gosforth, Northumberland. He joined the RAF in March 1938 and was posted to number 142 Squadron, October 29, 1938. The squadron flew their Fairey Battles to France as part of the AASF. Ricalton flew in many air raids during the battle of France. On his return to England he volunteered as a fighter pilot and joined 74 Squadron. Ricalton was killed in action, October 17, 1940.

Photo M. Carrie and W. Ricalton.

Warrant Officer Ernest Mayne came from Byker, Newcastle upon Tyne. Mayne had joined the RFC in 1917. In 1935 Mayne was part of the 'Demon Flight' that eventually was renumbered 74 Squadron. Mayne remained on 74 Squadron flying with them on operations over Dunkirk as well as the Battle of Britain. On August 11, 1940, Mayne passed out during a high altitude dogfight, his Spitfire power-dived through over 20,000 feet causing damage to Mayne's ears. After this he spent the rest of the war on training duties. At 39, Mayne was the oldest fully operational fighter pilot, in the RAF, to contest the Battle of Britain. CLICK MAYNE FOR MORE IMAGES.

Photo 74 Squadron.